Instant Pot BBQ Shredded Chicken
Have you made shredded chicken in the past? Our family typically used technique we used with pork and it cooked for hours! When we discovered the Instant Pot, we were smitten.
While researching I found FlavorRD’s very versatile recipe, which I’ve included in 21 Instant Pot recipes to Wow your family. Flavorrd’s frozen to fab’s basic recipe had flavor variations recipes for: Honey Dijon, Spicy Korean, Cuban Mojo, and Teriyaki. FlavorRd used commercially prepared sauces for BBQ and Salsa. Wanting to use a family favorite first; our BBQ sauce preps up in 5 to10 minutes, feel free to use your family favorite as well.
The best part of the cooking process is that once the timer is set on the Instant Pot you can sit back and relax.
- Serves: 4 servings
- Serving size: 6oz
- Calories: 335
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Unsaturated fat: 3g poly 5g mono
- Carbohydrates: 0
- Sugar: 0
- Sodium: 121mg
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 51g
- Cholesterol: 143mg
- 2 lbs chicken breast, thawed or frozen
- ¼ cup of water
- ¾ cup of sauce or flavoring
- If using homemade sauce: Use the saute feature to precook any vegetables or prepare the sauce. Once the sauce if prepared, place the chicken in the pot, use a water to cover if needed. Press cancel once the precooking is done.
- If using prepared sauce or flavor: Use approximately ¼ to ½ cup of water, add the chicken to the Instant Pot, then add ¾ cup of your favorite sauce or spice combo.
- To cook the chicken: use the poultry setting and adjust to 20 minutes; use the quick release method once cooking is done.
- For small chicken breasts: 15 minutes cook time
- Large or double recipe: 30 minutes cook time.
We were not disappointed in the texture and flavor of this chicken. We’ve used the cooked chicken for a few things at this point. Click the link for more ideas on how to use Shredded Chicken from your Instant Pot.
- Make burritos; using an 8″ tortilla wrap and layering black bean mixture, cooked chicken, then cheddar; before baking in the oven.
- We’ve served this chicken over pasta with cooked veggies.
- We’ve also served with a basmati rice mixed with cooked onion and peppers with a splash of soy sauce.
- Salads are the best when in a hurry, adding protein makes salad a filling meal.
- Serves: 6 serving
- Serving size: 6
- Calories: 299
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Unsaturated fat: 3g mono 1g poly
- Trans fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Sugar: 17g
- Sodium: 436mg
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 40g
- Cholesterol: 98mg
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ Cup, Onion Raw Chopped
- ½ Cup, Celery, raw
- ¼ cup, Pineapple Chunks
- ¾ cup, Catsup
- ¼ cup(s), Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ cup water to thin and cover (if needed)
- ¼ cup, packed packed brown sugars
- 2 tsp(s), Mustard, prepared, yellow
- 2 tsp(s), Worcestershire Sauce
- 3 lbs, Chicken Breast - Skinless
- Using the simmer option, place oil, onion, and celery into the Instant Pot and cook vegetables until soft and onion is translucent.
- Place remaining ingredients, except the chicken into the pot and stir until blended.
- Add chicken to the Instant Pot, close and lock the cover, close the steam valve.
- Using either poultry or manual, adjust the cooking time to 20 minutes
- Once cooking is done, use natural release until pressure is reduced and cover can be opened.
- Shred chicken and prepare to wow your family.
Chicken is so versatile and so is this recipe, meal prep is the limiting factor for many people when trying to eat healthy. This Eat to Perform, article mentions that 12oz of raw chicken will cook down to 8 oz of cooked chicken; I’ve used that multiplier as well.
We previously baked chicken breasts, the results were hit or miss regarding moistness. This instant pot recipe is fabulously easy to make with a tender moist result each and every time we’ve made it.
Do you struggle with gaining muscle or losing weight? Have you been on the dieting roller coaster, are sick of spinning your wheels and want to get off? Contact me at MpowerU2.Fitness for more information on our challenges or for our Health Coaching Packages.