Going carb free and getting clear sinuses was an unexpected bonus!
I’ve been reading up on the Paleo Diet, for many reasons,which I’ll not go into at the moment. However one side effect of paleo eating brought my chronic sinus issues to the forefront, they have been very irritating in the last few months and I needed a break from the constant sneezing, snorkeling and misery, without medications..
I hate medications and hope to not need or have to take them, EVER!
I know my allergy trigger is mold specifically, but my house is clean and dry almost always, plus, it is winter. Winter is a time when I am not outside exposing myself to things like damp leaves or musty hay, my allergy symptoms should be settling down at this time, but they were not, they were getting worse.
The quest began for answers to this burning question: Why were my allergies on fire? And why, when I cut out starchy carbs, did they suddenly clear up?
After reading that low carb could cut sinus symptoms I felt the need to search for things relating to sinusitis, I found Livestrong, a website which I enjoy regardless of the current situation with its founding member. There I read a few short paragraphs stating that while most people don’t manifest carbohydrate sensitivity in their sinuses, the fungi feed off the sugars circulating in your bloodstream, thereby growing with wild abandon. I typically don’t consume large amounts of carbs, other than vegetables, but it was the holiday season, which is full of decadent holiday feasting.. Ah, the light bulb moment, I had been farming my very own personal fungal factory right in my sinuses, sounds rather gross!! (It was too)
Livestrong mentions Oasis Wellness as the source for their information. A quick google and I found Oasis Wellness and an article about natural health remedies for sinusitis. Here I saw their list of symptoms for sinusitis, which I had almost all of them, including embarrassing chronic halitosis (regardless of my oral care) I had been strongly suspecting something going on in my sinus. The list of symptoms, according to the Oasis Wellness site is:
Possible symptoms of sinusitis include: (via: Oasis Wellness)
- Stuffy or runny nose
- Difficulty breathing through the nose
- Pain and/or swelling in the sinus areas (nose, eyes, cheeks, forehead)
- Jaw pain
- Dental pain
- Ear pain
- Bad breath
- Difficulty sleeping (especially chronic)
Oasis Wellness suggests checking for inflammation in the coolest way ever, scary flashlight face!! Well not quite, but almost and who wouldn’t want to, this is how they suggest doing it:
“If you have a bad cold and are not sure if it has changed into sinusitis, there are a couple of simple tests you can perform. Mucous (from bacterial or viral infections) will often fill up sinus cavities if sinusitis is present. Tapping on the sinus cavities can help tell if they are backed up or not. Also, try shining a flashlight on the facial skin outside sinus cavities. Light will be visible inside the mouth if they are not clogged. Your health care provider can perform these tests, or a friend or family member who is knowledgeable about sinus cavity locations.”
The Oasis Wellness site has a lot of information that is worth a read, I suggest you take a look if you are suffering from chronic sinusitis. I reviewed their suggestions for natural treatment of sinusitis, marked off in red what I am already doing or want to try:
- Hydration. (No worries, I have an addiction to H2O)
- Moist Air (Always at home, however my boss keeps the office at 19% humidity and suffers from asthma, we call him Dr. Dumass, no lie)
- Warm Compresses. (Not currently needed)
- Environmental Pollutants. (Like a rock star baby)
- Liver Support. (My liver is doing great, I do nothing to tax it)
- Yeast/Candida. Be watchful for symptoms of yeast overgrowth and other factors such as antibiotic use (I haven’t been on antibiotics for over 25 years)
- Wild Mediterranean Oregano Oil is highly beneficial in controlling yeast overgrowth as well as helping with allergies and sinus inflammation. The one my family uses and finds effective and the one I recommend to clients is Oregasil™. (I will try eliminating sugar, flour, dairy before adding any additional “things” to my day)
- Healthy Diet. Eliminate sugar, white flour, dairy, hydrogenated oils and pre-packaged foods. (I don’t do pre-packaged foods or hydrogenated oils; eliminating sugar, flour, dairy should be
a piece of cake... errr easy)
- Salt-Air Respiratory Inhaler. (Can do this as well)
- Steam. Inhaling steam with a few drops of eucalyptus essential oil (simple enough, worth trying)
- Don’t Skip on Sleep. (I sleep like the dead on most nights)
- Immune Enhancement (not ready for this yet)
So began my journey, as of January 4 of this year and I combined it with a little experiment that relates to becoming fat adapted and burning bodyfat for energy during the day .
So far what have my results have been:
- My sinuses have been clear on days with no starchy carbs.
- I am fitting into clothes that I haven’t worn since my little gene experiment last year.
- My body measurements are going down, which explains how I can fit into my smaller sizes.
- I’ve been pouchy these last few months, but not anymore! Now my lower abs have flattened out.
- I get to eat bacon more often and have one day a week where I eat cake too.. (but wake a little congesty)
- My strength training is going very well and my training volume has increased, who knew!!
I deem this a success thus far and plan to continue this journey to see where it takes me. More information will follow, I am using myself as a guinea pig of sorts, even though I know sharing is caring…